Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,
29331485

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee intermittent starting

Customer Question

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee intermittent starting problem.replaced starter. Replaced relay..works fine for awhile then without warning will not start.. After several attempts (10 or more) it will start...I tried starting in neutral. Thinking it may be the neutral safety switch.. Does not help.. Tried reading codes ..no error.. Checked battery. Ok terminals clean...any thoughts?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 3 months ago.

When you have a no start issue does the starter make a click or absolutely nothing .

When you have a no start issue connect a test light to the "S" wire on the starter motor and try and start does the test light turn on.

If it turns ON the starter circuit is okay and you have a bad new starter .

No light check the ignition switch very common issue to cause starter circuit failure .

Another way to test is ignition switch ON and jump the starter motor by crossing the main starter cable with the 'S' wire if cranks up starter good bad circuit .

But if you check the starter circuit and relay test good replace the ignition switch ,

Attached a ignition switch ,this is the part that typically fails .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply button .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have read that the wire from the relay to the starter solenoid can become corroded and case this intermittent problem .. Any thoughts?