K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

My 1982 CJ7 Jeep, will not turn the 12v battery off under

Customer Question

My 1982 CJ7 Jeep, will not turn the 12v battery off under the dash, I have replace the started solenoid, alternator, battery, starter switch. It turn the motor on and off with no problem, when I unplug the two wire plug it shut the power off, but it will still crank.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My 1982 CJ7 Jeep, will not turn the 12v battery off under the dash, I have replace the started solenoid, alternator, battery, starter switch. It turn the motor on and off with no problem, when I unplug the two wire plug on the alternator it shut the power off, but it will still crank.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it sounds like their is a short in the wiring causing the alternator to backfeed voltage into the ignition switch.