roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  My knowledge of Jeeps from the early 60's till present. Love to help people with there issues.
3506196

When replacing the alternator I neglected to disconnect the

Customer Question

When replacing the alternator I neglected to disconnect the battery and sparked the positive cable that goes to rear of the alternator. By sparked I mean onto the block for about a half of a second. Was running fine but now acts like it has no spark.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Put in a new battery and have attempted testing some voltages... The 1990 YJ with 2.5L has some diagnostic testing ports of which I've tested and found the D1 to have 0 volts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've done my best to test all the fuses and I believe but am not 100% sure that I've tested and found no issue with the fuseable links...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The whole story is here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/no-start-yj-fuel-but-no-fire-sigh-1784313.html#post26520745
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call + Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message + Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't actually mean to request a phone call or live video.... I was just playing with buttons... Whatever way you find best to guide me in the right direction to resolving my issue is good with me.
Expert:  roybelding replied 3 months ago.

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

have you checked voltage at the wire you grounded at the back of the alternator??? it should have 12 volts all the time

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Roy,Thanks for your time. The wire going into the alternator does read 12 volts. Today so far I retested the fusible links for a 6th time and just put a new starter relay in as a long shot. Still no progress. Only clue found thus far is that Testing the D2 Port 4 shows 0 volts (It should read 12v). Not a clue as to where I should trace the diagnostic port error to....
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've attached a photo of the Diagnostic Port test instruction that I followed.

thanks. Looking for the diagram as we speak

Roy

which terminal in which connector??

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Diagnostic Port #2
Connection 4 = 0 voltsActually all the connectors in that port read 0

check the diagram. there is a green fusible link that supplies a lot of ports for the connector

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are three fusible links there. I've checked them all with a volt meter and all currently have 12volts.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is one wire coming from the backside of the new starter relay, I presume it is a ground. My old relay doesn't seem to have had this "extra" wire... I'll send a photo in a few moments
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Additional green wire
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The way I tested the fusible links is by testing at the red wires beyond the fuses.

great pictures

check the links for 12 volts at the start and then go to the other end and test for 12 volts at the end/ they break internally and are difficult to see when broken

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When connected as shown in photo I read 12v's on both ends of the wires.
When the fusible links are attached to the starter relay they do not carry any voltage (Guessing that's normal).

no, they need 12 volts.

where does it not have voltage

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Away from home today, do I understand correctly that each of the three fusiable links connected to the starter relay, should have 12v when completely disconnected from the starter relay? What can you tell me about the B+ Latch Relay, Seems it may be worth testing?

no, they should have 12 volts connected all the time.

verify the voltage before going on to other checks

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
12v has been verified on all those wires.

ok, at the stud and at the wire below the link???

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct, tested them 6 times to be sure.

does D5 have 12 volts???

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
D5 in diagnostic port 2 has no power. If I recall correctly the whole D2 testing port showed 0 volts (at each terminal). The Diagnostic port #1 does have voltages but I'd have to be home to retest and provide more specific data as to which terminals are reading any which voltage...

you need to re test. if all the links are good, you should have voltage

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will retest it again once I return home. Likely won't be until tomorrow as I will seemly get home rather late this evening. Thanks

ok

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no power to terminal 5 on diagnostic port 2. However the fusible links do test a positive 12v... So that stumps me a bit...

sorry, had some health issues. looking at diagrams again

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hope your health issues are better?
I've received e-mails asking me to rate your service since your last response but nothing else.I'm not sure that rating the service prior to resolution is normal? I appreciate the assistance you've given so far but realistically I'm currently in the exact same boat as before our conversation begun.

thanks, ***** ***** little better.

as far as rating, we only get paid when you accept our answers. you or we can continue as long as you wish after you rate. we give advice based on your input only. we dont fix it, thats on you. the money you paid goes to the site and we get a small portion of what you paid. some people accept right away to keep the conversation going and some do not. the longer we work without getting paid the less motivated we are to continue.

just wanted to explain how it works for us

Roy