Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

All the lights are working except for my brake lights. Why?

Customer Question

All the lights are working except for my brake lights.
Brake fluid level is good and I checked it last week.
I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I tested all fuses, changed bulbs. Hoping to repair it myself.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 months ago.
Hi there,
From your description it sounds like there is an open in the circuit to the brake lights. A test light is recommended to verify Battery Voltage (B+). At the brake light switch verify there is B+ on the red/light green wire at all times. When the brake is pressed verify B+ on the white/tan. If there is no B+ at the switch verify B+ at fuse #11 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) under the hood. Also verify B+ in the under dash fuse block at fuse #9. If B+ is verified at the switch check the 10 pin black connector located in the left rear quarter panel near the bottom of the lift gate opening. This can also be the lamp outage module, if equipped. Verify B+ at all of the white/tan wires on the 10 pin connector when the brakes are applied. If you need connector views and locations let me know. I've found connection problems at the 10 pin black connector causing no brake light operation.
I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.