Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Why does my 2000 jeep grand Cherokee die when it gets hot,

Customer Question

why does my 2000 jeep grand Cherokee die when it gets hot, like park at idle. or heavy traffic. If the vehicle sits and idles it will die. and it will usually start right back up until the third time restarting, then the gauges will peg left and the instrument cluster will light up like a Christmas tree. I have scanned the vehicle and had no luck getting any codes. and the vehicle will not start until the gauges turn back on.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. i am a shop foreman at a Jeep dealer and see this issue on these Jeeps. If you are certain there are no codes, then you have a failing PCM . Do you have a scan tool that will read OBD 2 I/M readiness monitors?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

I asked that question because a quick way to confirm if a PCM shut down is to look at the OBD readiness monitors after the Jeep will restart. If the monitors reset to a "not ready" or incomplete" status, then that is proof that the PCM shut down when it got hot. If so, replace the PCM.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay so i got the vehicle to get hot and shut down so with all the lights lit up on the dash I plugged in my scann tool and checked the readiness monitors. sure enough it said 9 of them were incomplete. only 1 was ok. and i scanned the systems to find one pending code and it was P0750 now im not sure if that because the battery died this morning because i left the scanner plugged in over the weekend and jumped the vehicle to charge the battery but the battery is charged now. Anyways is there any other test i could perform before condemning the PCM? just to give me some peace of mind??
any help would be greatly appreciated sir!! thank you very much
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like it is the PCM. Thge only other test would be to have the scan tool connected when it acts up and see if the scan tool looses communication with the PCM. That would confirm it.

By the way, you are very welcome my friend!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last answer from a few days ago. I hope I have been helpful, and if so, would you please take a minute to rate my service using the just answer rating service? I get no credit for helping you unless you do. If you need more help, I will still be able to help you even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah I got it. I'm going to replace the PCM and make sure that's it... I just feel like it's a crap shoot with just replacing it
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Well from what I see at the dealer I work at, I am pretty confident that this is the problem. Keep me posted.

Chris