Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Loud thumping noise after turning, replaced ball joints and

Customer Question

Loud thumping noise after turning, replaced ball joints and is now in service bay getting an inspection trying to find noise cause. It does not do it after a car wash
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: From the front and has been doing it after replacing th joints about three months
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: Grand Cherokee Laredo 4W 1998
JA: What year is your Grand Cherokee?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no Put in new ball joints last time
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would have the control arm bushings inspected for any wear or damage needing replaced.I would also have the shock/struts and strut mounts inspected as these can be common to cause this here as well as any sway bar bushings or links.These are all the most common.If this issue only occurred after the joints were replaced I would have them inspected to make sure one isnt defective causing this issue and that no damage occurred to the suspension system when they were replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete