sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have this same issue. I purchased an ACDELCO 36P1490 pump

Customer Question

Dave, I have this same issue. I purchased an ACDELCO 36P1490 pump from Rockauto, and it did not have the SBC/EVO, I had to transfer it from the old pump. I followed Jeep bleeding procedure, but initially I did not jack up the front wheels off the ground. I had full range power steering, but when I hit the end fluid sprayed out of the SBC/EVO where it connects into the pump so I pulled it out, took it all apart and this time I took apart the EBC/EVO and the rings looks wore so I replaced them with standard O rings. I put it all back together, no leaks :-), but now I have no power steering. I jacked up the wheels off the ground and steering is wonderful, have a small drip from where the reservoir connects to the pump, but the lines look good. However, when I put the wheels on the ground, I lose all power steering.
Any thoughts?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Lack of assist with an aftermarket pump right out of the box is common. You most likely have a bad replacement pump, I could only recommend a Mopar.

What was the issue that the pump was replaced for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pump was poring out fluid, we would go through a bottle every other day.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have looked at Mopar and unfortunately this part is discontinued, http://www.factorymoparparts.net/jeep/grand-cherokee/rl088139ac/1996-year/limited-trim/5-2l-v8-gas-engine/steering-cat/p-s-pump-and-hoses-scat/?part_name=p-s-pump . . . so unless I can find it 3rd party, I cannot take your recommendation for getting a Mopar Power Steering Pump. Isn't ACDelco GM owned? I remember growing up that is all dad ever bought for car parts.
AC Delco is General Motors.Do you have access to a power steering pressure gauge?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have one personally, I can see if one of the local auto stores has a loaner. I found a cardone reman that comes with the high pressure port/EVO.

I would avoid Cardone above all others but it's obviously up to you.

CAn you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Cardone was the only one I have found with the SBC/EVO included. Honestly I was just getting it for those. Here is the VIN.

The part number for the pump with variable assist is 52088250 but there is no stock of it.

This would be a good choice for an aftermarket pump.

http://midwestjeepwillys.com/52088250.html