virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.2 liter. I'm having

Customer Question

I have a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.2 liter. I'm having problems with the engine running properly at an idle. It wants to stall on me. Seems to run fine when it's driving, but will want to stall when I'm coming to stops at lights and what not. The exhaust smells like it's not burning fuel properly, real strong smelling. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 2 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.To be able to help better I need a little more info.
Is the exhaust excessively black? And does it smell like fuel? Or what kind of smell? Also I'm assuming it's had a full tune up? Also is the idle just low or does it kind of search or roll up and down?Let me know and I'll try to help.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Exhaust is not excessively black, a little though. It does smell like fuel a little bit, not like straight gasoline, or like it's burning oil. I have had it tuned up multiple times over the years, and no one has been able to get it quite right. The idle is just low, like its choking it's self out.
I'm assuming the idle was set on the new carburator and did the new carb come with the electronic choke or did you use the one off the old carb?
Also has the timing ever been set? And has the intake manifold heater below the carb ever been checked?Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure on a couple of the things. Manifold was replaced in 2009, would they automatic check and/or replace the intake heater at that time? Or is that something completely separate.
Time was last set in 2005, I don't think it's a timing issue. It does seem to fire and run smoothly at higher rpm.
Idle was set. I don't remember about the choke, I'll have to take a look at that when I get home this evening.
if it's out of time even slightly it can run fine but it effects the idle as well. But the intake heater would not normally be checked, I'm just thinking it could be an issue since you mentioned choking down. But the choke could do the same thing.
Let me know what you find when you get home. When was the idle set? And did they follow the procedure to set it? It's not as simple as setting the set screw like most were.