Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Got a no bus message on dash and all gauges stopped working

Customer Question

got a no bus message on dash and all gauges stopped working and check engine light came on then engine light went off and all gauges started working and are still working engine running fine ?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: off now and everything working like normal but came on and stayed on about 10 seconds
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2000 jeep wrangler sport
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: done nothing because everything is working fine now and running fine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: battery was unhooked for a couple of days to replace a fender
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do not have jeep with me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have the jeep with me
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Ok no problem. We would need to run some tests to figure out what is going on.. otherwise I can provide you with some possible causes.. it is up to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok but understand that this happened 3 hours ago and lasted for 10 seconds and the jeep has been running fine since then and all gauges are working fine just trying to find out what may have caused the glich is the battery being unhooked for a couple of days a possibility
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you there
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

NO problem. I will send you a list of possible causes..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

PCM

Instrument cluster

Camshaft position sensor

Crankshaft positition sensor

BCM (if equipped)

Wiring issue

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!