Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.

I would like to up grade engines on a 2004 jeep grand

Customer Question

I would like to up grade engines on a 2004 jeep grand cherokee, go from a 4L 6cyl to a 4.7 L V8. Is it a doable project?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The short answer here is 'yes", BUT....

You are going to need to spend a lot of money doing this. In addition to the replacement engine, at the very least, you are going to need a 4.7 computer, the entire dashboard wire harness, the entire engine room harness, a new air cleaner assembly, an entire new exhaust system, different vacuum switching valves for the evaporative system, motor mounts, a transmission and transfer case, and possibly driveshafts. Yes, it can be done, but you are looking at a ton of money to make this happen. I would consider upgrading the 4.0 if you want more power. There are lots of modifications that will turn the 4.0 into a much more powerful engine...and you do not have to replace all of the stuff listed above.