Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2001 wj 4.7 new engine, old engine head gasket fqailure,

Customer Question

2001 wj 4.7 new engine, old engine head gasket fqailure, cracked head. warped head. third motor. orig died @145k second died at 155k both same symptoms. temp gqaguge never got past middle mark. made me suspicious so added gauge to outlet neck. found temp 195 thru 225 did not move the dash gauge over 1/16 inch. hmmm..... possible culprit for engine failures. ok, check hydraulic fan, notes that it does not ramp up when ac turned on. does not ramp up when engine gets to temp. IWith eng at 200 I unplugged the coolant sensor behind the ac compressor and the fan ramped up after few seconds (2-3) delay. I have ordered new coolant temp sensor, but am concerned that there may be a problem with the fan solenoid. Which jeep of course no longer sells by itself.
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded. What is the model of your '01 Jeep?
Customer: 2001 Grand Cherokee limited 60th anniversary edition with 4.7 and tow package
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked and cleaned the connections at the temp sensor with electronic contact cleaner. (I was a CET for 15 yrs)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's about it
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1) How does the fan solenoid work? As the plunger is pulled in, does the oil flow through the fan motor increase?2) Is there any place where the silenoid can be purchased? Dealer wants almost 1k for the fan module and the modified wire harness . And there is an $85 core.Now think about this, mopar won't sell you a solenoid by itself, wants to sell you entire fan assy for 1k and wants yours back. Either the want to reman it or trying to keep them off the aftermarket. Nice.3) any info on how the pcm fan control circuit works? Perhaps a schematic of the pcm?
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1c656393
283000
But new engine with now 1000 miles on it.
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert