sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Was away on vacation and the battery on my 1998 Wrangler

Customer Question

Was away on vacation and the battery on my 1998 Wrangler went dead. After charging it the alarm sounded and I hit the reset button on my key fob but now the vehicle only cranks but doesn't start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: After several attempts of cranking it the battery still shows 12.68 volts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hoping!!! Unhooked battery negative and let set 1/2 hour, inserted ignition key and tried to cycle 3 times before trying to start, tried setting door lock to the unlocked position 3 times, and finally I gave the left front tire a mighty kick which only seems to activate my toe.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Fuel guage didn't show fuel so I added fuel which showed me it is actually full and removed one plug to see if the unit was firing. No fire
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the fuel gauge didn't come up with the key on then I suspect the powertrain control module is down. If the PCM is down it could be an internal failure, loss of power or ground, or it could be a short to power or ground on a couple different circuits. An internally shorted crank sensor will often take the PCM down.

Does the fuel pump not run when the key is first turned on?