Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I have a 98 tj w/ 2.5 it run fine before I put a ( LUK )

Customer Question

I have a 98 tj w/ 2.5 it run fine before I put a ( LUK ) clutch & flywheel in it . At first it would not start . Had a code for distributor/ ignition pick up . I popped the cap off and the bushings in the distributor where shoot you could move the button side to side so I replaced the distributor it come with new pick up cap and button put in and it started rite up . The problem is it won't ideal . It's up and down and pinging like the timing is to high when cold thin when it warms up it pings more and won't stay running . Ideal is up and down a couple times thin shuts off . Starts back up and will continue to do the same I changed the crank pick up with no change did a pressure check on the fuel pump it hold 45-50 psi . Tried driving it to reset computer after clearing it to re learn parameters and it gets hot and has no power pings under any load and wants to cut off but will start rite back up . Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

To be honest it sounds like the distributor is a tooth off.. Here are the directions, can you double check it?

DISTRIBUTOR

All distributors contain an internal oil seal that prevents oil from entering the distributor housing. The seal is not serviceable.

Factory replacement distributors are equipped with a plastic alignment pin already installed. The pin is located in an access hole on the bottom of the distributor housing It is used to temporarily lock the rotor to the cylinder number 1 position during installation. The pin must be removed after installing the distributor.

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor on all engines For removal/installation procedures, refer to Camshaft Position Sensor. Distributor removal is not necessary for sensor removal.

A fork with a slot is supplied on the bottom of the distributor housing where the housing base seats against the engine block The centerline of the slot aligns with the distributor hold-down bolt hole in the engine block. Because of the fork, the distributor cannot be rotated. Distributor rotation is not necessary as all ignition timing requirements are handled by the powertrain control module (PCM)

The position of the distributor determines fuel synchronization only. It does not determine ignition timing.

NOTE: Do not attempt to modify this fork to attain ignition timing.

REMOVAL - 2.5L OR 4.0L ENGINE

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.
  2. Disconnect coil secondary cable at coil.
  3. Remove distributor cap from distributor (2 screws) Do not remove cables from cap. Do not remove rotor.
  4. Disconnect the distributor wiring harness from the main engine harness.
  5. Remove the cylinder number 1 spark plug.
  6. Hold a finger over the open spark plug hole. Rotate the engine at the vibration dampener bolt until compression (pressure) is felt.
  7. Slowly continue to rotate the engine. Do this until the timing index mark on the vibration damper pulley aligns with the top dead center (TDC) mark (0 degree) on timing degree scale Always rotate the engine in direction of normal rotation. Do not rotate the engine backward to align the timing marks.
  8. Remove the distributor hold-down bolt and clamp.
  9. Remove the distributor from engine by slowly lifting straight up.
  10. Note that the rotor will rotate slightly in a counterclockwise direction while lifting up the distributor. The oil pump gear will also rotate slightly in a counterclockwise direction while lifting up the distributor. This is due to the helical cut gears on the distributor and camshaft.
  11. Note the removed position of the rotor during distributor removal. During installation, this will be referred to as the Pre-position.
  12. 2.5L 4-Cylinder Engine: Observe the slot in the oil pump gear through the hole on the side of the engine. It should be slightly before (counterclockwise of) the 10 o'clock position
  13. 4.0L 6-Cylinder Engine: Observe the slot in the oil pump gear through the hole on the side of the engine. It should be slightly before (counterclockwise of) the 11 o'clock position
  14. Remove and discard the old distributor-to-engine block gasket.

INSTALLATION

1. If the engine crankshaft has been rotated after distributor removal, cylinder number 1 must be returned to its proper firing stroke. Refer to previous REMOVAL Step 5 and Step 6. These steps must be done before installing distributor.
  2. Check the position of the slot on the oil pump gear. On the 2.5L engine, it should be just slightly before (counterclockwise of) the 10 o'clock position On the 4.0L engine, it should be just slightly before (counterclockwise of) the 11 o'clock position If not, place a flat blade screwdriver into the oil pump gear and rotate it into the proper position.
  3. Factory replacement distributors are equipped with a plastic alignment pin already installed This pin is used to temporarily hold the rotor to the cylinder number 1 firing position during distributor installation. If this pin is in place, proceed to Step 8. If not, proceed to next step.
  4. If the original distributor is to be reinstalled, such as during engine overhaul, the plastic pin will not be available. A 3/16 inch drift pin punch tool may be substituted for the plastic pin.
  5. Remove the camshaft position sensor from the distributor housing. Lift straight up.
  6. Four different alignment holes are provided on the plastic ring Note that 2.5L and 4.0L engines have different alignment holes
  7. Rotate the distributor shaft and install the pin punch tool through the proper alignment hole in the plastic ring and into the mating access hole in the distributor housing. This will prevent the distributor shaft and rotor from rotating.
  8. Clean the distributor mounting hole area of the engine block.
  9. Install a new distributor-to-engine block gasket
  10. Install the rotor to the distributor shaft.
  11. 2.5L 4-Cylinder Engine: Pre-position the distributor into the engine while holding the centerline of the base slot in the 1 o'clock position Continue to engage the distributor into the engine. The rotor and distributor will rotate clockwise during installation. This is due to the helical cut gears on the distributor and camshaft. When the distributor is fully seated to the engine block, the centerline of the base slot should be aligned to the clamp bolt mounting hole on the engine The rotor should also be pointed slightly past (clockwise of) the 3 o'clock position.

4.0L 6-Cylinder Engine: Pre-position the distributor into the engine while holding the centerline of the base slot in the 1 o'clock position Continue to engage the distributor into the engine. The rotor and distributor will rotate clockwise during installation. This is due to the helical cut gears on the distributor and camshaft. When the distributor is fully seated to the engine block, the centerline of the base slot should be aligned to the clamp bolt mounting hole on the engine The rotor should also be pointed at the 5 o'clock position.

It may be necessary to rotate the rotor and distributor shaft (very slightly) to engage the distributor shaft with the slot in the oil pump gear. The same may have to be done to engage the distributor gear with the camshaft gear.

The distributor is correctly installed when:

• the rotor is pointed at the 3 o'clock position (2.5L engine), or at the 5 o'clock position (4.0L engine)
  • the plastic alignment pin (or pin punch tool) is still installed to distributor.
  • the number 1 cylinder piston is set at top dead center (TDC) (compression stroke)
  • the centerline of the slot at the base of the distributor is aligned to the centerline of the distributor hold-down bolt hole on the engine. In this position, the hold-down bolt should easily pass through the slot and into the engine.

No adjustments are necessary. Proceed to next step.

1. Install the distributor hold-down clamp and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.) torque.
  2. Remove the pin punch tool from the distributor. Or, if the plastic alignment pin was used, remove it straight down from the bottom of the distributor. Discard plastic pin.
  3. If removed, install the camshaft position sensor to the distributor. Align the wiring harness grommet to the notch in the distributor housing.
  4. Install the rotor

CAUTION: If the distributor cap is incorrectly positioned on distributor housing, the cap or rotor may be damaged when engine is started.

5. Install the distributor cap. Tighten distributor cap hold-down screws to 3 N·m (26 in. lbs.) torque.
  6. If removed, install the spark plug cables to the distributor cap. For proper firing order, refer to the Specifications section at the end of this group. See Engine Firing Order.
  7. Connect the distributor wiring harness to the main engine harness.
  8. Connect battery cable to battery.

Let me know what you find,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I put everything step by step and now I have no start . It try's to spuder a little but it seems like the timing is to low . Even double and triple checked .
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where should the notch in the flywheel be when everything is lined up with the crank mark and the distributor. Rite now the pick up is just past the first notch whe everything is on point?
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

What codes are setting? You said you replaced the clutch and flywheel and the crankshaft reads off the flywheel so did you make sure both had the same amount of tone wheel holes? I have attached a few more pictures showing TDC and the distributor.. If it ran fine because the clutch install basically it either a wrong flywheel, crankshaft sensor signal or now since the distributor has been replace it could be out of time.. Let me know what you find so we can get you back up and running..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yep all the marks are rite . I think it has to be the flywheel because if I turn the distributor one tooth back counterclockwise from where it should be it will start and run smooth just ping and when it gets warm it won't ideal but for 30 sec. or so with it going up and down from idealing from 400 - 900 rpm . It is throwing codes po o351 and po1391 . The tone hole ( square notch for the pick up ) is lining up just past the pick when the crank balancer is sitting on 0* and piston is at the top and distributor lines up with mount fork and rotor is sitting at 3:00 . Shouldn't the first notch be lined up directly under th pick up not past it ?