Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.

I have a 1999 TJ with standard transmission and 4cyl 2.5 L.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 TJ with standard transmission and 4cyl 2.5 L. In 3d 4th and 5th gear at 2000 rpm the motor runs terrible. Like some of the cylenders are not firing. At 2100 rpm all is fine. This issue is repeatable and consistent.
What do I do?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello Mike, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Lets start first with having the computer system scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting. Anytime the engine is misfiring the computer should detect this and set and store a fault code and or codes. Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will run a scan for you at no charge. Post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Ron,
Thanks for your reply. The only code so far is P0171 (mixture too lean in bank 1). The tech reccomends fuel pump and O2 sensor.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

I would check the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring before replacing the pump Mike.