Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Jeep will not start on occasion. Usually will start by

Customer Question

Jeep will not start on occasion. Usually will start by putting gear shift into drive and moving back to park. Now that trick not working. Seems like heat has something to do with it. Someone told me to check connection on starter selonoid.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin when car doesnt start what actually happens?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just what I told you. I have electric power to all except starter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will contact PayPal and get my money back. You are worthless.
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The MOST common cause for this concern is a failed Transmission Range Sensor. The range sensor tells the computer what gear the transmission is in. Problems can arise when the computer does not know gearshift position including a no start condition. When this happens, is the gearshift position displayed correctly? Have you tried starting it with the shifter in "Neutral"?

Let me know the above info and we can continue from there....

Keep in mind that we can respond back and forth as long as needed until you are happy with my answer. If you are mechanically inclined, I can help you run some tests to get this figured out.... Let me know...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My son has my car 3 hours away. I will be going up their shortly. I forgot to ask him about trying neutral start. He has been using the method I told him to use and it was working until now. I do work on my own cars and have antique autos. I don't do trans work though. I was going to put on lift and check connection to starter hoping that was it. If that didn't work, I would take to trans shop for range sensor. I have heard before that this could be an issue. That is the only two things I have heard that it could be. Is their other things to look at?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is their a cable adjustment that might need tightening to trans selector?
Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

If the gear positions are out of alignment with the shift indicator the cable may need adjustment, the adjustment should be on the transmission side of the cable where it attaches to the transmission cable bracket. Also check the range sensor connector and that the battery is not leaking acid. If it is, this acid can make it's way into the transmission wiring. check this carefully especially the driver front corner of the transmission. and top area..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

If you are unable to find any obvious problems, the best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Expert:  Robert R replied 4 months ago.

You can also borrow a code reader from AutoZone free of charge. They just take a refundable deposit to cover tool cost in case you don't return the tool....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert