Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

My 2002 jeep liberty idles rough, has a P0302 code number 2.

Customer Question

My 2002 jeep liberty idles rough, has a P0302 code for misfire number 2. When first started, the engine will rev up past 3,000 rpm with no problem other than a rough idle. After it is driven for a very short distance, the engine will suddenly start to lose power and sputter. Then, when parked it will rev to 3,000 rpm and surge down to 2,000 to 2,500 rpms, and will go no higher than 3,000 rpms. Once the engine is shut off, and then started again, it will then rev past 3,000 rpms with no problems and no down surge. Replaced spark plugs, coils, cat. converter, checked all wiring, and nothing seems to fix the problem. Can you please help?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Is the only code setting the P0302? What is teh compression of #2 cylinder?