Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

R2d a 2.5 liter engine from 1997 Jeep Wrangler into a 2000

Customer Question

R2d a 2.5 liter engine from 1997 Jeep Wrangler into a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that had a 2.5 liter engine. The donor engine was machined and lower bearings replaced but the engine is running rough.
JA: Have you metered out the ignition system?
Customer: I have the Jeep with a mechanic and he is about to give up on me. I am not sure if he metered out the ignition. Everything was running fine with the old engine until a knocking sound came and the timing chain broke while my wife was driving on the highway
JA: What year is your Wrangler?
Customer: 2000 Jeep Wrangler SE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I know that he has looked at the distributor, fuel injectors, PCM was rung out. I am not sure what else has been tried.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The only thing I saw when researching a donor engine is that in 1997 there were 2 2.5 liter engines listed for 1997s. One was leaded and the other was unleaded. I also read that the leaded engines were phased out at the end of 1996. The donor engine was running when it was removed and had 114,000 miles. I don't know what else to tell the mechanic that could help him trouble shoot this issue.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

we need fuel & spark to start the engine ?

has he checked for fuel pressure ?

has he checked for spark ?

is the engine turning over & not starting ?

or no crank whatsoever ?

ask him is there a red security light on the dash flashing or steady on while he is attempting to start ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat