Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Have 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 L V8. Had heavy oil

Customer Question

Have 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2 L V8. Had heavy oil at rear of engine. Replaced rear main seal and still see oil dripping from the rear of the engine. Wheere else can the oil be coming from?
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: Only the oil pan gasket. No other gaskets or hoses
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Need to determine the source of the leak and what is required to repair. There are repairs beyond my resources.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Jeep has 225,000 miles on it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

the oil pressure sender is a common leaker as well as the intake end seals the only way to find the exact leak source or sources (high likely-hood of many leaks with the mileage you have) is clean the entire engine preferably with steam and a good engine cleaner and add a dye that will show under a black light , but be prepared for multiple sources, were it my engine i would remove it and reseal the entire thing BUT that would be costly if you had to pay labor