Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

I have a 1987 wrangler 2.5 engine, when I start it it smokes

Customer Question

I have a 1987 wrangler 2.5 engine, when I start it it smokes and misses, I have new plugs and wires installed, can you help?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Does it matter if it's been sitting for an extended period of time or not?

What color is the smoke?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has been sitting for about 2 months but i have started it several times since and still the same problem, seems to be loading up.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the smoke is blue
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Blue smoke does indicate an oil issue. This could be the oil rings or the valve stem seals. On rare occasions I have seen the actual valve get a hole in it and cause some pretty massive blue smoke.

I think what I would do here is a compression test, followed by a leak down test. The compression test will tell you if there is anything MAJOR going on with the cylinders. The leak down test will check for smaller issues like a problem with the oil rings. If it's been sitting a while, the oil rings could be locked up on the pistons and not scraping the cylinders, this would allow the oil to go past the rings, burning it and fowling the plugs causing the rough running.

I would do these tests to try and make sure the inside of the engine is in good working order.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In the past before I let it sit, the jeep would run good but if i traveled a short distance it would not start again until I let it set for a few hours.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

This type of issue seems more like it would be a distributor or ignition coil issue then some type of ring issue. I have seen the coils get hot and stop generating spark. Then after it cools off the wiring in the coil sort of re connects and it will work again.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I go a longer distance the jeep would start again, it is just the short distances that it would not start.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Is the question about smoking and a rough idle or about the jeep not starting after short trips?