Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Overheats when driving, but not at idle. Changed thermostat

Customer Question

Overheats when driving, but not at idle. Changed thermostat and water pump. Bled air out, but problem still persists.
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: The vehicle has never overheated where the temp gauge has hit the red mark, but runs at the 3/4 mark when driving.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2003 Liberty
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just replaced the water pump and thermostat.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It's not a sensor problem as the coolant is boiling.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** thing left is head gasket or radiator. You can do a block test and cooling system pressure test, if it fails either test then replace the head gasket. If it passes the tests then replace the radiator. It sounds more like a radiator problem since it doesn't completely overheat. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I doubt it's the head gasket as there is no mis-fire or hesitation and no contamination in either the engine oil or anti-freeze.
The radiator is only 2 years old.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

It should be one of the two, there is nothing else that would cause overheating while driving. Head gasket doesn't always cause misfire or oil contamination. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.