Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair

Starter wont actuate but woks when bypassed, nothing from

Customer Question

starter wont actuate but woks when bypassed
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: nothing from the starter. need to check/ eliminate neutral safety switch and check ignition switch for proper operation
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 94 jeep grand cherokee laredo
JA: What year is your jeep?
Customer: 1994
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. tried messing with the sifter, neutral-, wiggle/ park- wiggle with ignition in start position.. checked voltage, no draw to starter headlights stay bright and no clicking.. short out starter at solenoid engine turns over. I would just get a new switch but they are expensive and car has no history of any starting issues.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no. basically looking for wiring diagram to bypass safety switch to test
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Do you have power at the starter relay? (one terminal with the key off and 2 with it on)

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I meant to say 2 terminals with the key turned to start, sorry

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The jeep is not at my location. will check, Would I not still need to bypass the safety switch to check the ignition switch?
Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

No, the switch should power the relay and the SNS will ground one terminal when it is in park or neutral. There is a 3 part test for a no crank condition. Some of the tests are done with a scan tool but there are ways to see with a simple test light or volt meter to see that the IG switch is working.

The best way to check the safety neutral switch is working is to see if the terminal at the relay is a good ground. That is done by the PCM. Please see attached diagram, thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

I can send all of the no start/no crank tests to your email in PDF files if you like.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in PDF files, the files are rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,

Expert:  Jerry replied 3 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.