Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

2014 jeep cherokee trailhawk, emergency brake wont release

Customer Question

2014 jeep cherokee trailhawk, emergency brake wont release brakes !
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

Here is how the EPB(Electric Parking Brake) works:

Electric Parking Brake Switch

To apply the parking brake manually, pull up on the switch momentarily. You may hear a slight whirring sound from the back of the vehicle while the parking brake engages. Once the parking brake is fully engaged, the BRAKE warning lamp in the instrument cluster and an indicator on the switch will illuminate. If your foot is on the brake pedal while you apply the parking brake, you may notice a small amount of brake pedal movement. The park brake can be applied even when the ignition switch is OFF but the BRAKE warning lamp will not illuminate, however, it can only be released when the ignition switch is in the ON/RUN position.

NOTE: The EPB fault lamp will illuminate if the EPB switch is held for longer than 20 seconds in either the released or applied position. The light will extinguish upon releasing the switch.

If the Auto Park Brake feature is enabled, the parking brake will automatically engage whenever the transmission is placed into PARK, or with a manual transmission, when the ignition switch is turned OFF. Once the parking brake is engaged, the BRAKE warning lamp in the instrument cluster and the LED indicator on the switch will illuminate. If your foot is on the brake pedal, you may notice a small amount of brake pedal movement while the parking brake is engaging.

The parking brake will release automatically when the ignition switch is ON, the transmission is in Drive or Reverse, the driver seat belt is buckled, and an attempt is made to drive away.

To release the park brake manually, the ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position. Put your foot on the brake pedal, then push the parking brake switch down momentarily. You may hear a slight whirring sound from the back of the car while the parking brake disengages. You may also notice a small amount of movement in the brake pedal. Once the parking brake is fully disengaged, The BRAKE warning lamp in the instrument cluster and the LED indicator on the switch will extinguish.

NOTE: When parking on a hill, it is important to turn the front wheels toward the curb on a downhill grade and away from the curb on an uphill grade. Apply the parking brake before placing the shift lever in PARK, otherwise the load on the transmission locking mechanism may make it difficult to move the shift lever out of PARK. The parking brake should always be applied whenever the driver is not in the vehicle

Are you disengaging it properly?

Talk soon,

Brad