Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My 02 jeep liberty will start, but you have to keep the gas

Customer Question

Hi, my 02 jeep liberty will start, but you have to keep the gas pedal moving or it dies
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: I charged the battery. Example. It ran fine on Friday then the dieing thing on monday
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 02 l
JA: What year is your Jeep?
Customer: 2002 Jeep liberty sport 3.7
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, fix it myself. Nothing yet. There is no codes either
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It runs like a champ. I have taken care of her.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. You could also have an idle air control valve problem. The throttle body could have excessive carbon. You could try cleaning the throttle body first.

You will need a scan tool as well to diagnose this, you need codes. You will also need to view live data on the scan tool and look at things like fuel trims and o2 sensor voltage.

Please reply to this if you need more help, then we can continue this conversation. If not, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Remember, I do not get compensated for my time helping you unless you rate. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cool, I a code reader and there are no codes. I have cleaned the throttle body not long ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Check for vacuum leaks by spraying throttle body cleaner on all the hoses and intake gaskets while at idle, listen for rpm to change. Also check your idle air control valve. With a scan tool you can open and close the IAC valve and the idle will rise and fall. This is how to diagnose the valve.

Does your code reader read live engine data?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Also a fuel pump and fuel pressure issue will cause a stall, you would need a fuel pressure gauge and watch pressure as the engine stalls. Fuel pressure problem may not set a code.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, its not that special of a reader. Ok I will check those in the morning. Its 930pm . The call is an additional $26 . So this 5 minutes could cost $52?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

There was no phone call so you are only at $26. Let me know tomorrow what you find.

Please use the rating system hoping to be giving you great service! Thanks