Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My jeeps security alarm is going off and won't turn off. Nor

Customer Question

My jeeps security alarm is going off and won't turn off. Nor will my engine turn over. I've heard there is a way to so reset the security system it is a 2000 jeep cherokee sport
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

*****I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and other repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there, and to be honest with today's electronics a scantool may very well be needed to retrieve the codes or to monitor data to see what's going on*****

Do you see a red light on in the dash? If yes do you have a spare gray headed key?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The red light is there but we don't have a grey key just the primary one
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

The red light is your security system telling you there is an issue with the key or key module.. What is your VIN number?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Why do u need the vin?
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

Because I want to verify your Jeep is equipped with Sentry key...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1j4ff48s0yl235914 Is the vin
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

I ran your VIN and you do not have sentry key.. Can you disconnect the battery for 5 min and tell me if the alarm resets?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It didn't work
Expert:  Brad replied 8 months ago.

Can you manually lock and unlock the drivers and passengers door and see if it will disarm?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried that the key don't work on the passenger door
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I think i can help. I just looked up your VIN number and it does not appear as though this Cherokee has a factory alarm. I think you have an aftermarket alarm. Try his: look around under the dash left side for a little black pushbutton. if you see it, turn on the key and push that button. Then see if it will start. let me know.

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no black button on this vehicle
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Ok try this: disconnect the negative battery cable. Then turn on the ignition. Now reconnect the battery cable. Let me know if that works.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. Any luck with the Jeep?

Chris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The last thing didn't work either unfortunately
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Do you have the remote for the door locks?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The battery has been dead in it since I've owned it but I have it just never used it
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Ok, well maybe you should get a new battery for it. That way you can use the remote to turn off the alarm. Go to a car stereo shop or Best Buy. They should be able to get you a new battery for the remote.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello just checking back to see if you got a battery for your remote.

Chris