sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo. 130,000 runs like a charm. Chime

Customer Question

2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo. 130,000 runs like a charm. Chime sound happens randomly. Sometimes 10 times in an hour, sometimes not for days.
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: Nope. random.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Jeep?
Customer: 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Don't know where to start. I have a scanner, but have not put in on the vehicle yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't find this particular problem on google, at least not with an answer. I was going to remove and/ replace the fuel chime relay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could be causing the chime to sound. If it's happening while you're driving then odds are it's happening because a warning light is coming on, but it may be happening very quickly. It isn't uncommon for this to happen so briefly that you aren't able to see a light on by the time you look down.

Have you checked the brake fluid level?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Checked the brake fluid level...ok. Other fluids ok. Could it be air bag chime? There has been a recall for the airbag unit in the center console, but the dealer never has it. Perplexed.

The chime will come on for any warning light that comes on. Do you have a scan tool to check for fault codes in all modules?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ran the scanner. Only codes that came up: P1281 thermostat malfunction confirmed. P0141 Oxygen sensor malfunction on heater circuit bank confirmed, and P0161 Oxygen sensor malfuntion on heater circuit bank confirmed.Would those cause a chime sound?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
random chime sound?

The chime sounds to alert you of something needing your attention on the instrument cluster and will sound when the engine light comes on. Is the engine light intermittent?