Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

I was looking at the previous quation in the link since I

Customer Question

http://www.justanswer.com/jeep/70ruu-jeep-liberty-2002-jeep-liberty-dash-cluster.html I was looking at the previous quation in the link since I have the same problem. I have power to 10 and ground at 1 but no power at 19. What does that mean?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Let me view that question and I'll be back asap...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vehicle is a 2002 jeep liberty sport 3.7. Gauges aren't working properly.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Ok, this means that you may have a blown fuse in cavity 13 of the fuse box.. Check this fuse and replace if blown.

Here is a wiring diagram for that circuit.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fuse is ok and replaced just in case. Same issue still
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

This is in the fuse panel on the driver side of the instrument panel, correct?

If so, can you check for power directly at this fuse and let me know the results?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good power at the fuse
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry that's at the driver side fuse box position 13
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Ok, now you need to check that the power is actually making it out of the junction block at the C1 connector Pin 31. You need to get to the back of the junction block at the gray 42 way connector, with everything still connected, backprobe that cavity with the key on and let me know if you have power there...

here is the connector pin chart for C1 of the Junction Block --->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
42 way connector? Is that another name for the fuse box or am I looking for something else?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

That fuse box is attached or is part of what is called the "Junction Block". On the back side of the fuse box are several electrical connectors, one of them is a Grey 42 way electrical connector, you need to backprobe the correct wire to see if the power is making it from the fuse to the connection. This will isolate the cause to either the wire or the junction block itself. Run this check and post back the results...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll see if I can even find what you're talking about
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I get access to the junction block?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I found it and have access now. I unplugged the 42 way connector. Do I need to check the wire that is connected to pin 31 while the connector is plugged in I assume?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Correct, you must "Backprobe" that wire with the connector plugged in. Let me know if you have power there...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What can I use for my black probe on my meter to check the power?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

A straight pin or sewing needle should work fine.. as long as you make good contact with the wire or terminal pin

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have power 8 inches past the grey 42 way connector. 11.75v
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wait.....is that picture of the 42 way connector showing the pin numbers a view from the front where the pins are or as viewed from the back where the wires come out?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nevermind I saw symmetry difference. I have power 8 inches back past the 42 way connector. What next?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I now have power to 10 and 19 on the 20 pic connector on the back of the cluster but the cluster still is working properly. Bad cluster then?
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

If you are now getting power all the way to pin 19 on the cluster and the terminal itself is not spread then yes, the cluster is likely the problem. A vehicle scan with a Capable scanner will verify this.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert