Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4.7 that I just

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4.7 that I just finished repairing after a deer hit and blown head gasket. After all this work, I started the engine and it runs great. However, when I tried to pull the Jeep out of the garage, the left rear wheel was locked and skidded, while the right rear and two front wheels turned fine.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: I have not, but hw would that affect the rear wheel.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Jeep?
Customer: Laredo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I would like to fix it myself. I pulled both rear wheels and the left caliper to see if the break pads were locking, and they were not. Fluid level in the differential is ok.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The vehicle sat outside at the autobody shop for several months. When we tried to load it (rear first) on the tow truck, the same wheel would not turn at first, then turned fine both loading and unloading. The vehicle sat another 18 months before I removed the radiator, condenser, fan housing, bumper, fenders and hood then discovered the oil in the coolant and removed the heads, had the heads resurfaced & reinstalled everything myself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

The rotors could be rusted to the pad, the parking brake could be stuck on that wheel as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already checked that. Removed both rear wheels, checked rotation of both to see if frozen and neither was. To be sure, I removed the left rotor (the wheel that was dragging), removed left caliper, scuffed the left rotor and reassembled. The problem remains.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Your rear end could be locked, disconnect the drive shaft and push it by hand, that would verify the rear end.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
With the transfer case in neutral, will that accomplish the same thing? With both rear wheels off the ground, it does turn, but seem to meet resistance after about one revolution.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would removing the differential cover help with troubleshooting, particularly bad bearings or gears that would lead to this left-side-only freeze-up condition? Also, I could not find any identification on the rear axle to determine if the rear end is a C213R or a C213RE and whether or not the gearbox has Varilock. Do you know where I could look to fine it or what clues there might be in the VIN?
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Does it have an electrical connector on the diff cover?

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Yes transfer case in neutral would be the same, some Jeeps were all time awd and not able to be put in neutral.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm about 15 miles from my shop and the jeep so don't know if there is a connector or not, but I will check. If it does, what will that tell us?
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

That is the lock up solenoid, if it has the quadra drive, the solenoid could be your problem as well. You need to remove the rear cover to expose the solenoid.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Make sure the connector is tight.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When replacing the fluids and filters in the transmission, I noticed a broken ground strap that I believe went from the muffler to the transmission and perhaps on to the frame. I wonder if this loss of ground might be causing the problem. I also did not see and emergency brake cables/calipers running to the rear axle. ( was midnight and I had been working on the vehicle for 14 hours at the time) Could the e-brake be culprit?
I am going to head to my shop and see what I can learn. I'm going to remove the cover and see if I can find the solenoid and any other obvious damage. I'm also going to check the connector. Most likely, the ground wire was broken by the deer being dragged from the front to back of my vehicle, so the same may have happened to the connector if there is one. If we can chat by text, that will work great while I am away from my computer. My phone/text number is(###) ###-####I will be leaving in 5 min.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will check my computer one last time before leaving. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Yes I would look under the trunk for broken wires. The Diff lock up feature is electronically controlled. The e brake shoes are in the hat of the rear rotor.

Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. I only get paid by ratings.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do . Switching to text now
Thanks,
Greg
Expert:  Dan replied 10 months ago.

OK thank you