sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 1985 Jeep CJ7 and when I trun on the head lights

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Jeep CJ7 and when I trun on the head lights the blinkers dont blink what could be the problem
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem is almost surely a poor ground. There may be enough ground to support the bulbs individually but adding the load of the headlamp bulb in the circuit may then be preventing enough current draw on the turn signal circuit to allow the flasher to heat up and open to flash.

The first thing I would recommend is a visual inspection of grounds and wiring in the front, if nothing can be seen then try adding a redundant ground for testing and see if the problem goes away.

Also see if the problem happens with just the park lights or if it has to be the headlamps. If it happens with just the park lamps on then the problem may be in the rear.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the problem exist when only the park lights are on, and the left turn signal dose not work when the break is applied, the right turn signal is not effected by the break.
I ran a #10 AWG wire from the Battery to each front turn signal, and each rear turn signal.
I also installed a NO Load flasher with a ground wire to it.

Did anything change with the ground in place?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing changed when the ground was added

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you get back yet?

I apologize for the delay.

Have you tried supplying another ground to the headlamp bulbs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not yet tried that but will, and get back with you.