Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair
2947720

Drains battery over night customer states it even ruined two

Customer Question

drains battery over night customer states it even ruined two batteries
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for visiting the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK PUT A TEST LIGHT IN SERIES FROM NEG TERM TO BATTERY PULLED ALL FUSES BOTH PLACES AND RELAYS LIGHT NEVER WENT OUT WHATS UP THE TEST LIGHT NEVER WENT OUT

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Is that with a regular 12v test light and not an LED?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

NOT SURE ILL LOOK IM THINKING ITS A NEWER SNAP ON MIGHT BE A LED ONE

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Yes, the LED style testers will pick up on very low voltage/amps and show a draw almost always. An amp meter is the best thing to use but a older style 12v test light will also work. They will even be real real dim if they do pick up any small draw that is normal like from the PCM or body systems, thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok used a older tester fuse #15 under hood 50 amp makes the test light almost go out gets real dim no other fuses does this

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Good job. The #15 fuse in the PDC is the IOD, (ignition off draw) fuse, mainly for shipping the vehicle or storing it. However, it feed a few circuits. You will want to see if the light dims when you pull the #5, 7, 8 or 9 fuse in the IP fuse panel, (junction block). The #9 fuse powers the power outlets and rear power outlets, (if applicable). They are probably the most suspects to cause a current draw.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok pulled all them fuses still the same real dim but really never went out or changed

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Yes, it will probably never go out all the way but with the #15 fuse in, (when the light is bright) see if one of the ones inside the vehicle will make it go dim again, thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok so installe that 50 amp fuse see if ajny inside will do the same thing correct

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Yes. The fuse box inside the vehicle should show what each fuse is for and which ever one makes the light go to dim is the circuit that is drawing the battery. I will be going out of town later today, thanks

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK FUSE 8 INSIDE DID IT WHAT DOES IT GO TO SIR

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but That fuse is for interior lighting, (courtesy lamps, overhead lamps, glove box, etc.) very possible that the glove box light switch is sticking or is shorted out.

There are 5 or 6 wiring diagrams for that fuse. I could put them in a file if you like. Thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Just wondering how you did with the battery draw, thanks