Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

I'm trying to determine if both electric fans start and stop

Customer Question

I'm trying to determine if both electric fans start and stop together. One runs the other doesn't. Does it have a different temperature set-point to start? this is a 1996 Cherokee Sport
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: about 90,000 miles. Coolant level is OK. Temperature light came on while in stop and go traffic. After 15 minutes, the engine cooled down and runs OK, but only one electric fan is running.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked coolant level and temperature, both OK. No leaks noted. Belts OK, water pump seems to be OK
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: One electric fan runs, the other doesn't run.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 3 months ago.

the cherokee only EVER had 1 electric fan on the DRIVERS side and an engine driven fan on the PASSENGER side if you have 2 electric fans someone added the other after the fact