Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Turn key and just a click, will not start most of the times.

Customer Question

turn key and just a click, will not start most of the times. The odd time no
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Meaning
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked battery, moving gear shift in and out of park, about it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Worked great for the last year I owned it, Just started. asked a dodge mechanic, from the past who stated something under dash maybe
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So it sounds like your ignition switch is bad. But to test, put a volt meter on your starter on the small wire and read the voltage as some one turns the key to start. Anything less then 11-12 means most likely your ignition switch is bad. If it's 11.5 or greater your starter is bad.Let me know what you find and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Before you condemn the ignition switch tho let me know. We will want to check the Nuetral safety switch as well as it can cause low voltage on your start circuit. But test the other things first and let's go from there.Thanks
Sonny
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny