Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified

Jeep SRT - won't start and the vehicle security light comes

Customer Question

Jeep SRT - won't start and the vehicle security light comes on flashing). In the past, it it sits for 30 minutes it will reset or sometimes the alternative key fob works (which I don't have right now). Any other thoughts?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Yes, turns over but does,kt start. Battery is new.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeh. In the past just waited for it to reset but time consuming. Not sure what else to do. I read online that disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes could work.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Think that is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 3 months ago.
Good morning..Since the security light is on the. You either have a bad key or bad SKIM module. The correct way to diagnose this is with a scantool to see what codes are set in the SKIM module. If you don't have a scantool and would like to try something you could call a locksmith and have a new key cut and programmed. If that doesn't work then it's likely a bad module which will need to be programmed with a scantool of replaced.