Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6: My Jeep stalls on cranking

Customer Question

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6: My Jeep stalls on cranking and will not stay cranked. It is like it is choking itself out. I have replaced all the plugs and the battery but no change. I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Is there a way to test my injectors, Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor to see if they need to be replaced or am I way off on what might be causing my jeep to stall out?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Does it run for 2-3 seconds and then die?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but it has a hard time starting as well
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, the hard starting may be part of the problem or may be a result of trying to start it several times and it dying. The first thing I need you to do is to remove fuse #34 in the fuse box that is located on left end of the dash for at least 60 seconds. Then reinstall the fuse and crank it and see if it starts and runs now

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took out the fuse and kept it out for 60 seconds. After reinstalling it the vehicle did the same thing. It has a hard start and then dies. It is dark here so there is not much I can do right now if you were to call me. I can redo this question in the morning and can talk to someone then. That way I can have ample daylight to work on the vehicle.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good. If you dont have a set of noid lights, I would suggest renting a set from Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts or O'Reillys. They are used to check injector pulse to make sure they are getting good signal from the computer

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Awesome, thank you Eric
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they are just called "Noid Lights" to check the injectors with?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Correct, the name of them is Noid Lights. You unplug the connector to the fuel injectors and plug the noid lights into the connectors. Have someone crank engine while you watch the noid lights. They should blink steadily indicating injector pulse. If they do not, then there is either a computer issue or short or open circuit in the wiring harness. If they do blink like they are supposed to, then the injectors are getting good signal and issue is else, possibly a weak fuel pump. So if you dont have a fuel pressure gage, rent one of those as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I had the fuel pressure checked and it ran at 61 psi so I know it is not the fuel pump.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, thats good. Has the computer been scanned for fault codes yet? Does it have a digital odometer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there are no fault codes, check engine light is not on and it does have a digital odometer.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, do you have a scan tool with live data feed as well as it having an oscilloscope?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the scan tool I have does have live data feed and oscilloscope
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, does it run long enough to generate crank and cam sensor pulses on the scope to see if they are a regular pattern or irregular blips on the scope

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no it does not, this is why I am thinking it is either the injectors or the Crankshaft or Camshaft Position Sensors
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

Ok, lets check the injector pulse tomorrow morning and then go from there

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
okay, thanks a million Eric. Lets pick this up in the morning. have a great night and Happy 4th of July
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

hi,

You are welcome and have a great evening and Happy 4th of July as well. Will talk with you in the morning

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.