Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

1998 Jeep 5.9 Grand Cherokee- suddenly stopped not

Customer Question

1998 Jeep 5.9 Grand Cherokee- suddenly stopped not continuing to run- fires up but dies- the gauges dont work either
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses, took negative battery cable off, waited- no good- then tried key manually in all doors- still nothing- just starts and dies.
JA: Have you located the fuse box? Have you checked the circuit?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm thinking it is related to antitheft, or computer needing reset? but not a mechanic and dont really know wht to check- have been reading online about it all day- started adn ran fine yesterday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes? Would you be willing to speak over the phone? Have you checked for codes in the computer? Does the TPS have a 5 volt reference going to it with the key on?