sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have had over 5,000 worth of work on my Jeep Grand

Customer Question

I have had over 5,000 worth of work on my Jeep Grand Cherokee in the past several weeks - previously had the blower and another part replaced for the AC and it was working great when I took it in for the other repairs - when I got it back the blower was not working at full capacity and the airconditioning was hot. Took it back and they said I needed a new condenser and compresser - 1600 - did that but did not help then when I tried to start the jeep it wouldn't start - they said then I needed a new starter and they would fix the AC - paid for the new starter and they said they replaced the actuator gears. Got it back and still not working properly. I went out on a test drive and was switching the AC between outside air and recirculating air and a piece of insulation blew out of the dash AC vent. It is now blowing harder but the vent beside it is not. The air still is not cold. HELP HELP HELP
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery? I'm trying to find the right Chrysler Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What year is your Grand Cherokee?
Customer: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlander. Initially it turned over but did not catch. First time ever I had an issue and it was the first time I drove it after the repairs. They replaced the starter and that took care of that but now the AC is not blowing cold air - coolish but not cold. Blower not working hard out of some vents. HOW DO I GET the vents cleaned out and where did the insulation come from?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have taken it back to them 3 times - in the past two weeks - everytime I get it back there is something else wrong that was working great before. I just want to know how I got insulation in the recirculating dash vent and how I can get it out of the twin passenger side vent because it is blocked also.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Had it inspected by Jeep dealer and a Jeep specialty repair guy and the shop where I had all the repairs done eventually. Want to know if they are doing something to cause problems with the additional issues that were working fine before the repair AND I HAVE TO COLD AC BECUSE I LIVE IN ARIZONA AND IT IS HOT HERE.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause poor a/c performance. The compressor, expansion valve, cooling fan, low charge, a system restriction, or blend door issues will cause poor performance.

Debris in the heater box would require heater box removal to retrieve if it didn't blow out of the vents naturally.

Does the a/c blow cool while driving and then warm up at stops?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
First of all, you said I would be charged 5.00 initially but you charged me 19.00 on Payoal. Secondly I know all the things that cause poor cooling and I know it was working great when it went in for the initial repairs on the exhaust manifolds and the shocks. I had previously replaced the air conditioning blower and resister block - that gave me great cold air. After the recent repair and I had decreased blowing and cool but not cold air I took it back and they said I needed a new compressed and condenser. I paid for those and it did not make any difference. I took it back again and they said I needed a new actuator so that was put in and it didn't help. Then some diintegrating foam blew out the driver side dash vent and that increased the strength of the blue but not the temperature. The passenger vent still appears blocked. You have ignored my MAIN question. What could have happened during the initial repair to have caused this and where should I go from here?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I meant compressor
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Blow not blue

You never stated what the repairs were that were done that you appear to believe caused the current problems.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did read above

Was the blower motor the original repair?

What specific work was done before the current problem started?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok here goes - exhaust manifold leak on passenger side but replaced both sides. All shocks, wiring harness, all filters and fluids, O2 sensor, can't remember if anything else because I am traveling and don't have invoices with me.
Before I had the repairs set out above I had replaced the air conditioning blower and resister block because air had stopped blowing. After the bower was replaced I had great cold air - so that is how it was when I took it in for the repairs set out at the beginning of this paragraph.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now they have got me to replace the compressor and condenser and the actuator but these changes did not help issue

None of the repairs mentioned are related to the problem you're having currently.

If you have decreased airflow and foam coming from the vents then you have a blockage in the heater box. The foam could be from a door seal, a seal from the heater box to the firewall, it could have been carried in by a rodent. The heater box would need to be removed and disassembled if the only issue is insulation in the ductwork and decreased airflow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
now that is interesting - they told me there was a rodent nest in there and that it had caused damage to the wires necessitating replacement of the harness. They told me they power blew the engine to get rid of the nest and droppings

That would explain insulation in the heater box then.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will ask them to take heater box out and clean it. Do you have any idea of that cost ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
far I have spent about 6,000 on a 5000 dollar vehicle LOL

It would be in the area of 7 hours of labor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

The heater box is behind the dash and requires dash removal so it's a time consuming job.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok hope that is the answer - I will let you know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks I won't be home until next week but will let you know updates - appreciate the assistance in trying to identify the issue

You're welcome!