Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified

2005 liberty. ( 100,000 miles) ignition turns to AC (lights

Customer Question

2005 liberty. ( 100,000 miles) ignition turns to AC (lights come on etc) but just past that, it is completely locked so it won' go far enough to turn over. AAA just looked at it ... battery is fine.. Guy said it seemed like the ignition switch was ok?? thought it might be electrical that's locking it up..Daniel
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Daniel can you take the key and tap on the end of it like hitting a nail into the key cylinder and get it to turn? It sounds more like the key cylinder and tumblers are froze up.. Can you take the key out and spray graphite or WD-40 into the key cylinder and try hitting it to see if it will turn.. This method works most of the time.. If it will turn then I would suggest you replacing the key cylinder...

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You said if it will turn replace the cylinder??
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure about taking the key tapping and how to get it to work
Expert:  Brad replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

What I was saying is to tap the key into the cylinder like your hitting a nail.. Just use a screwdriver and tap the key into the key cylinder, this tapping will usually un freeze the tumblers so you can turn the key. If you can get it to turn on then you will be able to replace the key cylinder.. If you still can't get the key to turn then you will have to break the key cylinder which is never fun so try and spray some lube in the key hole and tap it to see if it will turn.. Then when the key is in the On position you will be able to press the small tab and pull the key cylinder out to replace it..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,