Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 1998 wrangler 2.5 4 cyl 5 spd. if i start it cold

Customer Question

i have a 1998 wrangler 2.5 4 cyl 5 spd. if i start it cold it will start right up and after about 3 min stall like you pulled the plug. and will just crank over and not start after that if put my foot to the floor and hold it it will start and if i keep the rpms up will run but then die, then it won't start at all. try it the next day same thing start right run a few min and so on.put a new cap rotor and plugs in and a new coil, same thing after that. there is no check engine light, not sure if i should try replacing the crank sencor, the fuel pressure is fine i did check that also. any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This type of stalling you describe is either a failing PCM, crankshaft position sensor, or camshaft position sensor. Usually if there are no codes it ends up being a PCM. Do you have a scan tool that can display the OBD readiness monitors?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello ? Are you still here?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Chris no my scanner is a basic one i think it just will give me the code when the light is on, if you think it is the crank sensor i can get one and try that and worse case maybe the cam sensor also?
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I am back now. Well the reason I asked about your scan tool is because if it did read OBD readiness monitors (I/M monitors ) is because sometimes when the PCM shuts down it causes those monitors to reset to a "not ready " state and that is a good clue it is the PCM. But if your's does not, then don't worry about it. So then yes go with a cam and crank sensor. They can cause this problem. If that does not work, then replace the PCM. Hopefully it is one of the sensors.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I will then get credit for helping you. It will not cost you any extra, and if you need further assistance after you have rated me, no worries. I will be able to help you out even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply ftom yesterday.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 10 months ago.
If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank you! Chris