Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

My jeep will not start, we tried boosting. Could it be on

Customer Question

My jeep will not start, we tried boosting. Could it be on theft alarm? My daughter tried using remote start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: 2012 grand jeep Cherokee, doesn't turn over and battery is year old
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, boosting I tried, Checked fuses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Brake pressure is non existant
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the security lamp on??

Do you have a spare key to try?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have spare key, but don't know where to put it. Where is security lamp located. Everything comes on easily..it just won't start
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The brake is hard to push down on when trying to start. Could something be locked? My dingbat daughter tried using the command start and it started, but made a loud noise. She shut it off and now won't start again
Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

From what you are stating, I'm assuming the vehicle has push button start. If this is the case, I need to know if you have a spare fobik to see if it starts using the second fob. The security lamp is either a single red dot on the instrument cluster or a icon of a key with a slash through it. Let me know if this lamp stays on when you are trying to start it...

If you have pressed the brake pedal several times, it will be normal for it to get hard to press down. Once the vehicle starts and restores vacuum to the brake booster, the pedal should be easier again.

Try using the remote start again and let me know if it starts and runs...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 6 months ago.

One other thing you can try is to use the fob itself to press the start button, let me know if this gets it started...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert