Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

My daughters 06 jeep liberty has the key stuck in in the

Customer Question

my daughters 06 jeep liberty has the key stuck in in the ingition and cant remove it unless you lift up the shifter plate and move a cable slightly to release the key. Is there a quick fix to correct this problem
JA: Any trouble turning the key in the ignition? Do you have a key fob?
Customer: no trouble starting or turning the key
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: no key fob either
JA: What year is your Jeep?
Customer: 06 jeep liberty 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hoping to repair it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only thing i found on the internet is to manual move the shifter cable to release the key
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** i am looking over your information to see how i can assist, i will reply back soon with some info.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

Here is the adjustment procedure, this should get you fixed up. worst case you may need to replace the cable, hope this helps. Lou P.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not sure that is the right info for the the key being stuck in the ignition.the key in stuck in the ingition because the shifter cable is not reseeding to the correct position
there is a jeep forum that helped us realize what is happening and how to get the key out but I need to know how to correct the problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

ok that is the info, if the shifter is not placed into park fully it will not release the key, same as if the key is not turned it will not release the shifter, i assure you, this is the info you need. you came here for help, trust that we will get you fixed up :)

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

when the cable stretches after years of use a re adjustment can fix it, if not then the cable will need replaced.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

the term "shift interlock" is what its called when the the key cannot be removed and turned off as well as the shifter not being able to be released without the brakes being pressed and the key in the on position.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** try it tonight. the diagram is confusing to me but as to how to tighten the cable. right now we can pull on it with a screwdriver and it pops into place, but it wont hold the position after you turn the key on.
I was told by the jeep dealer we would have to replace the whole cable for $600 - does this sound right?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.

That sounds excessive for the price, you should be able to pull up on the adjustment clip, move the shifter to the proper position and then lock the clip back down in place and it be set. let me know if you get it.