Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2008 jeep wrangler auto trans. jeep is throwing code p0404.

Customer Question

2008 jeep wrangler auto trans. jeep is throwing code p0404. I replaced the egr a month ago. code is back again. idles ok but runs a bit rough once you get up around 1500rpm. any ideas?
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: auto trans. no its fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: originally happened a month ago. replaced the egr valve and code wEnt away. came back a few days ago
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when it happened originally I also got a code for bank 1 position 1 O2 sensor fault. replaced the O2 valve at that time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can replace the egr again and that would solve it if it's a stuck pindle or a bad solenoid on the egr. but don't know how to rule out if the egr is even getting the voltage to trip the solenoid. have a multimeter
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the EGR has failed. If problem keeps happening you can get a screened EGR gasket to keep debris from clogging up EGR. The pink/yellow wire should have 5v and dark blue/green is ground. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.