Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Security Key Immobilizer Module.

Customer Question

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Security Key Immobilizer Module. Random starts.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The vehicle was starting 9 out of 10 times. When it wouldnt start, the skim indicator light on dash illuminated, and the gauges on the left didnt work. Now i am getting the same symptom every time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the actual electronic ignition switch was not tested or replaced this can cause this type of fault here needing replaced.I have seen this switch fail on several models in the past and cause intermittent electrical issues like this here.I would have this tested further to see if this is the cause here needing replaced to correct this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete,
I am not sure you read my original email to "justanswer.com". As it stated in my original request, I replaced the ignition switch, as well as the ignition actuator pin, the key cylinder, the keys, the SKIM module, the crank shaft sensor, MAP sensor, battery, and the ECM / PCM.When the issue came about (a few months ago) I had a random "no start" condition in which the SKIM indicator on the dash would stay illuminated and the gas gauge and alternator gauge stay pegged to 0. This would happened every 25 to 50 starts. The rest of the time it worked fine and ran perfectly. As of this week, I have that condition all the time. The SKIM indicator light flashes, and then stays lit. The car will crank, but not keep running. That indicates the SKIM is being triggered and stopping me from starting the car.I have spoken to Jeep service departments, and Jeep specialists over the past few months since the problem arose. I think I need a Jeep expert for this.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I apologize.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete