Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 03 TJ loses power going up lls (on ghways) after about

Customer Question

Hi, my 03 TJ loses power going up hills (on highways) after about 200 miles. It had down this twice, so we changed plugs, filter, some injectors, tested fuel pressure. Took it out again, and it happened again exactly after about 200 miles.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In some cases I have seen the fuel pump weaken after driving a certain distance to where it provides lower fuel pressure when this occurs.The pump becomes weak over time and causes this fault here.If you had the fuel pressure tested when the vehicle was not acting up it most likely showed up as o.k. since it was operating properly at the time.The pressure would need tested when the vehicle is acting up to see if this issue is a weak pump needing replaced.

I have also seen a restriction in the catalytic converter in the exhaust cause this fault as well needing replaced.If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done this should be done to see if the back pressure exceeds 1.5 psi at any rpm range.If it does this usually indicates the catalytic converter is partially restricted needing replaced.The catalytic converter will also heat up in long driving distances and any debris in it may start to block the flow as it melts over the honey comb shape in the converter and cause this fault here in some cases.

These are the two most common causes for a fault like this here that need checked into to help locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete