virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

The jeep will not start. it has been left a month in the

Customer Question

The jeep will not start. it has been left for about a month in the heat (portugal). Battery had charge. Cranks but no firing.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Not sure how old the battery is as its a used car (yr 2000) 3.0 limited. its turning over but not firing. Had booster on battery to ensure enough power.
JA: What is the model of your '00 Jeep?
Customer: Grand cherokee 3.0 ltr 200
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not a mechanic nor understand diesel
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: How to check and rectify
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have a disable function under the key start which I show to the placement to allow the engine to start. I do this as normal but still does not fire.
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So we don't have these motors in our jeeps here in my part of the world, but I'm very familiar with diesels and will try to help if you want? Let me know on this.If you do, then I need a bit more info. Did you just buy it or has it been yours and you just didn't use it over the last month?
Does the disable switch just disable starter function or does it disable something else causing it to not to be able to start even if it turned over? And is this a aftermarket add on or factory?Let me know and I'll assist as you want.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought it two months ago. it worked fine although had to change brake discs and tyres. However, it did have a diesel leak (not sure from where) and the radio sometimes worked sometimes not. Not sure about when the disabler was installed it looks factory fitted though.
Ok. So the disabler, if you don't push it, will the vehicle turn over still?And as far as starting there are only 3 reasons for not starting. Heat, fuel & timing. Heat is caused by compression, but the glow plugs help on initial start.
So let's just check a few things.
Do you have a can of brake cleaner or starting fluid (preferably the one for diesels)?