sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty and keeps popping a p0846 code.

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty and keeps popping a p0846 code. Runs and drives fine. What do u think it could be. Thank you
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Its either going to be a wiring issue or a problem with the pressure switch which is part of the valve body.

Does your scan tool show live transmission data?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It does not. It's just a small mac tools handheld scanner
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Without that theres no way to guarantee a new valve body will fix it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will see what I can do about getting a scanner, what should I be looking for in the trans live data
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Watch the 2/4 pressure switch value and compare it to actual that you will take with a meter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'm getting a Mac mentor tonight and will watch for pressure switch, what where and how am I comparing it
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

Get the scan tool and let me know and I will walk you through it.

Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

And a multimeter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I have a mentor 3.0 and it only goes up to 08, still went thru it and found a final drive Ctrl module data stream. Nothin really found as far as pressure.
Expert:  Kavey replied 5 months ago.

08 doesnt have all the PIDS yours has. Let me opt out and see if someone else knows a way to test it without a scan tool.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code sets when the 2/4 pressure switch is an in incorrect state for a given gear. This could be the pressure switch itself which is serviced with the solenoid pack, a short to power, ground or an open circuit on the signal wire, or an internal failure in the powertrain control module (very unlikely). There is little chance that the problem is not the solenoid pack.

If no scan tool and trans simulator are available then what you'll want to do is test the signal circuit for an open circuit between the trans and PCM and test it for a short to power and ground at the time the code is active. If ok then replace the solenoid pack.