Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.

I can't close fully shut the rear liftgate on the 2015

Customer Question

I can't close fully shut the rear liftgate on the 2015 Cherokee. The door will close but it will not latch or lock
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried to unlock it with the key fob and then lock again, tried with engine running, accessory only on and with all off. It happened about 3 weeks ago and then seemed to reset itself, but happened again yesterday.
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: How would I check the battery in the fob? The vehicle starts just fine and it alarms at the touch, so i'm not sure that's it. Will try another fob tonight, but any other suggestions?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing is a known concern and its likely caused by a failing lift gate control module and the good news is that Jeep has issued a recall for this problem and it will not cost you anything for this repair. I have enclosed the recall in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I fixed it on my own, thank you.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well.