Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

My 2013 toyota camry cooling fan wont turn off, yes, havenit

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: my 2013 toyota camry cooling fan wont turn off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, havenit trired yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yea, the day time driving light of the passenger side is also on
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: new battery
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I really need to fix this problem cuz my battery is running low. I wud have changed the fuse or relay but i dont know how to go about it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
am still waiting, the paypal has been billed for over 10 minutes now and yet no response
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. This is an odd one and I'm sure not very many people have seen it happen before.

Do you have a multi-meter to do some electrical testing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No i do not
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

That's ok. There is a ground wire near the engine compartment fuse box that will sometimes burn up. I'm not sure why it does it, but my suspicion is that the quality of the installation of this wire was not good from the factory. If that ground wire is a little loose it will create heat and burn up. In the case I saw it got so hot that it damaged the fuse box and the entire box needed to be replaced before the car's accessories (lights, fans, etc) would operate properly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where is the location of the wire?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Take a look at the wires coming from the fuse box on the diver's side of the engine compartment. There is a fairly thick (about the diameter of a pencil) wire that is black that runs from the fuse box to the body. If this wire looks damaged or burned then there is the problem. If it looks like it burned up the fuse box, then that will be a problem as well and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
let me go check
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The wire is OK,not burnt or damaged
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Well, at this point you will likely need to perform some electrical testing:

Check the voltage of the White/Black wire at one of the high beam headlights it should be almost 0 volts.

If there is voltage there check the ground connection behind the left headlight and junction connector A73 in the engine room fuse box. This wire could be back feeding voltage somehow. The only other likely cause would be a short internal to the fuse box.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where is the cooling fan fuse? how do i unplug the fuse?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The fan uses a relay on the driver side fender. It's the small relay box that has two relays in it. One is the horn, the other is the fan.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

It will look like this:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is within the fuse box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Call u call me(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The label on the lid will tell which one specifically. My manual does not. Either of the light blues, the red, or the purple.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I removed the relay and fan is still on. Does it mean that the relay is bad?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

No, that means that the fuse box is shorted internally. It is keeping the fan powered through a short in the circuit somewhere.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what will I need to do?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

If you plan to fix it yourself you will need to perform electrical testing to see where the voltage is coming from. Then you should disassemble the fuse box and look for signs of a short; melted fuse sockets, wires, or a printed circuit board. You will then need to order a fuse box from the dealer and replace it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No other ways around it?
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Not really. You could unplug the connector at the fan to get the fan to stop, but it's just going to make your car overheat if you drive it like that. You would also need to unplug the headlight connector so it turns off as well.

It's a good idea to find the short. It could potentially create a fire if it is shorted enough to keep the fan running and headlight on. You probably don't want your car burning down.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, am going to work now, will let u know
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
For the day time driving light, where is the fuse? Need to unplug the fuse for now
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

The headlight relay is part of the junction block. The whole junction block has to be removed to unplug it.

It may not even work to unplug it. You will probably need to unplug the light at the connector.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh I see, thanks
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

You bet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do u have a good mechanic or technician to recommend in Houston Texas area. I hate dealership, they don't know anything and yet expensive
Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in Houston. I would probably look for a good independent shop with a number of positive google reviews or Yelp scores.

Expert:  Jared D replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you need any additional help with this.

Please don't forget to rate my service-that's how just answer knows to pay us.