cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

Have 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that sputters at a stop but

Customer Question

Have 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, that sputters at a stop but idles fine in park. More noticeable after driven the vehicle and stopped for a few minutes, and get back in it then get to the first stop. Have changed spark plugs and wires, but no change
Category: Jeep
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, this sounds to me like one of two things. You have a vacuum leak or the issue with the throttle body. What is your engine and also have you checked these items yet?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only other thing, tried some ejector cleaner

Okay, I need to know what engine you have? V6 or V8?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
v6

Okay, this is what I want you to do. I want you to remove the throttle body and clean it very thoroughly. After a few years they get some gunk and do not operate correctly causing idle issues and sputtering. Before doing this I want you to inspect for a vacuum leak. Get a can of carb or brake cleaner. With the vehicle running take the can of spray with the extension tip and spray all around the intake manifold, any vacuum lines under the engine bay. If the idle changes when you are doing this that is where it is leaking. Repair or replace as needed. Sometimes if the intake is leaking you can loosen the bolts and tighten them back up and she will seal up. I have attached a how to on the throttle body removal. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks. Charlie