Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Here is what I observe with each of my 2 keys: My key can

Customer Question

Here is what I observe with each of my 2 keys:
My key can still remotely lock and unlock doors. When I turn my key to the run position, the dash lights all turn on (brake, air bag, ABS, etc...) and then nearly all of them go out after a few seconds (more on that lower down). All the car's electrical systems that I tried (radio, lights, heater, etc...) will also function if I turn them on. At this point, I am ready to turn the key to the Start position. Now 1 of 2 things will occur as I do so, depending on what sounds I hear with the key in the run position:
1. In the Run position:
a. if I hear the gas pump working shortly, I know for sure that upon turning the key to the Start position that the engine will turn over and start, and the engine will stay on for as long as I want.
b. If I don't hear the gas pump working, it may be that the fuel pressure is still high and that fact is not conclusive then. So, I go under the Hood to listen to the Intake-Manifold-Flow-Control-Actuator (I move my head close to it to hear it), and if it's "humming" I know for sure that upon turning the key to the Start position that the engine will turn over and start, and it will stay on for as long as I want.
2. In the Run position, if I don't hear the Intake-Manifold-Flow-Control-Actuator humming under the Hood, I know for sure that I will not hear the gas pump working and I know for sure that upon turning the key to the Start position that the engine will NOT turn over.
Now, one thing I think I also noticed: when the cluster lights turn off, there MAY remain the ESP and "Traction control" lights: if they're ON, the starter will not engage and if they're OFF, the car will start.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is the check engine light on? The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The DTC scan yielded no faults.In the meantime, I researched the internet and found several threads in Jeep forums that pointed me to wat is thye most likely cause. It seems to be a common occurrence due to a design flaw with some Chrysler products.. The Jeep now starts. Thank you for your time. I will ask for a refund because I found the answer on my own.