Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0 4wd and my

Customer Question

I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee with the 4.0 4wd and my transmission is acting funky when I make a left turn either to fast or to sharp it will shift really hard like its not picking up oil or something
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Is it safe to assume that you have checked the transmission fluid level already? Make sure you check it with the engine idling in neutral- not park.

If the fluid level looks ok the next step will be to pull the transmission pan and check for a cracked transmission filter. I've seen these plastic filters crack and allow air to be sucked into the transmission filter tube when either accelerating or hard cornering.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

If it feels like something is binding then the problem is likely in the transfer case. The common way that the transfer case fails on the 2004 Cherokee is by binding up when cornering. You can test for this by raising all 4 wheels off the ground and attempting to slowly rotate the front drive-shaft without the rear drive-shaft turning (transmission in neutral) transfer case in 2wd. If the rear shaft rotates then the transfer case progressive clutch has locked up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced the filter with a new one and the fluid level is at the right level
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

The problem didn't start after the filter replacement right? You replaced it in an attempt to fix the problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the vehicle is 4wd no option of 2wd
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but it only got worse
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

You should have the option to lock it in 4lo, 4hi, or awd right?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can do 4 lo or 4 hi
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry, I thought the 2004 had the awd option. Maybe that was just on the regular Cherokee and not the grand.

Well then 4 hi should work for this test. Just make sure that you turn the shaft slowly.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

It only happens when cornering right? If you accelerate hard it won't slip on other shifts?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
only when turning left
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I meant "when cornering, {correct}?".

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
check my filter and the transfer case
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I would test the transfer case clutch as I described. If everything seems ok I would get a good scan tool that can monitor wheel speed sensor data to make sure something isn't acting up in the ABS system and engaging the ABS because of a false wheel speed signal.

If nothing still looks unusual I would probably look at replacing/rebuilding the transmission- this would be the last item, and really only suggested because of the fact that it got worse after you changed the filter. That's the only reason I suspect the transmission; they don't normally only slip when turning to one direction or the other.

As a less likely possibility you should also check to make sure one side brake pad isn't wearing much more quickly than the other. I've seen bad calipers cause one set of brakes to squeeze the brake on one side or the other on hard cornering.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if you need any additional help with this.

Please don't forget to rate my service-that's how just answer knows to pay us.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would this make my spedometer offset by 10 mph as well ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Possibly, but I don't think that's very likely. Tire size or a bad speed sensor would affect the speedometer more.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is that sensor located
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

On the driver's side of the transmission just in front of the transfer case: