sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My seat belt alarm goes off constantly regardless of whether

Customer Question

Hi! My seat belt alarm goes off constantly regardless of whether or not the driver and passenger seat belts are fastened. The rear seat belts are never fastened unless someone is actually riding in the back.
JA: Which belt are you trying to change? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: I am not trying to change any of them. Just over 80,000-miles. I just want to disable it if possible
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2006 grand Cherokee
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to if I can. I have tried to fasten the belts.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything else.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the seatbelt warning continues to go off it's because the vehicle sees a belt is not fastened that is in use. The rear seats are not monitored. The driver's seat is always looked at, and when it sees weight in the passenger seat then the passenger belt is also monitored.

The problem may be with one of the seatbelt switches or it could be an occupant classification system issue causing it to think there is a passenger in the right front seat when there is not. Have you fastened the passenger belt to see if the warning stayed off?